Image from the archives, taken almost exactly 1 year ago.
Five miles south of the town of Fethiye, in south west Turkey is the ghost town of Kayakoy which is also known as Karmylassos in Greek. It had been inhabited by Anatolian Greek Christians prior to the First World War, for more than 800 years. It was a thriving and close knit community which concentrated mostly on crafts of various kinds for its living, until 1923. The Greco-Turkish War continued until 1922 when there was a population exchange between the two countries when the national boundaries were redrawn. As a place for Greek craftsmen to carry on their trades, the hillside settlement presented no problems. These could be carried out in small sheds and workshops but the town was no use to the Turks once it became part of their country because they were farmers.
In effect what happened after the war was that the local Turks were sympathetic and assisted the Greeks to move out of Kayakoy and the town became a ghost town. The Turks were supposed to move back in to Kayakoy, but never did.